Saturday, November 12, 2011

Can my parents legally force me to see a counselor?

I'm 17 and my mom and I don't have a very good relationship, which is why she's insisted that we go see a counselor as a family. I really want to fix my relationship with my mother and I wouldn't have a problem with this, except the counselor we are seeing constantly yells at me and mocks me. When I try to explain how I view things, she interrupts me. She also doesn't believe me at all and only believes me mom (my mom is extremely manipulative and good at convincing people; once you have known her for awhile, you finally realize this). I always break down emotionally at the sessions and have a hard time explaining myself because the counselor is yelling at me, telling me how bad of a child I am, pretty much (she's called me a tyrant and oppositional defiant, along with other labels). I'm really not that bad of a child; I get good grades, don't smoke/drink or misbehave at all, really. The only problem I have is my relationship with my mother, which the counselor isn't even addressing. She's just trying to fix me and suggests taking all of my things away (which either I paid for or my grandma bought me, btw and not letting me do anything with my friends. I don't feel like the counselor is helping at all and all she seems to be doing is enabling my mom. Do I have any say in this? What are my rights as a minor? Can I decide not to go to the counseling sessions? And can I see a different counselor by myself that would actually listen to me? I've tried talking to my mom about switching counselors before, but she won't do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment